Collection of Information
When you interact with Smart Digital Media, we collect certain Personal Information in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (“POPIA”), the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act 25 of 2002 (“ECTA”), the Promotion of Access to Information Act 2 of 2000 (“PAIA”) and any other relevant legislation. You also have access to certain information held by Smart Digital Media in terms of both POPIA and PAIA. You can access our PAIA/POPI manual on this page.
Who you are providing your information to
When we refer to “us”, “we”, “our” or “Smart Digital Media” we are of course talking about the legal entity that you will be sharing your information with, including our members and employees, and our details are as follows:
Name: Smart Digital Media
Registration number: 2004/124778/23
What information we collect
The information that we collect may include your:
- full name;
- Contact information
- ID or passport number;
- Street and Postal Address
- Security footage
- Any previous interactions with Smart Digital Media
How we collect this information
We can collect your personal information in a number of ways, which we outline below.
1. Via our Website
If you complete and return any of the documents on our website.
2. When you call us
We collect basic personal information when you call us to make an inquiry or place an order. This is limited to the information that you provide to us over the phone.
Why we collect this information and how we use it
When you provide us with your personal information, we may use this information in some of the following ways:
- To allow you to open an account with us;
- To place an order for you;
- To send/deliver stock to you;
- To communicate with you to check whether you need an order, or to follow up on stock delivered and required;
- To provide information to you regarding the services we offer;
- To improve our services to you;
- To otherwise generally render the services that are necessary to operate the business and to provide you with the services advertised on our Website.
Who we share your information with
When entering into a contract or transaction with Smart Digital Media in terms of which we are to provide goods or services to you, and unless you specifically object to this, you give express permission to Smart Digital Media and approved suppliers, agents, or contractors to use your Personal Information for the purposes above.
Protection of your information
How we protect your personal information
We take all commercially viable steps to protect your personal information against unlawful access and we comply with the lawful processing requirements under POPIA and other legislation. To help us achieve this, we have multiple safeguards in place to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, loss, or destruction. That said, no system is impenetrable and while we do our utmost to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee this information to be safe from access, destruction, or alteration as a result of a breach of any of our safeguards. It is also important to note that communication over the internet can be intercepted and the internet is not a secure medium. Communications made via email can be forged or intercepted.
- Smart Digital Media does not take responsibility for any damages that you or a Third Party may suffer in consequence of the transmission of information that you make available to us through the internet, or that you authorize Smart Digital Media to make. We also do not take responsibility for any errors or changes made to the information supplied to us.
We will notify you in the event of a data breach
Should we experience a data breach where your personal information has been accessed, destroyed, altered, or in any other way affected, we will notify you immediately of any such breach based on the most up-to-date contact information that you have provided us.
Your rights under POPIA
Under POPIA, one of your core rights is to be able to participate in the processing of your information, which means that you have a right of access to the information we hold about you and this information can be accessed upon request to Smart Digital Media. You are able to:
- Request whether we hold information about you;
- Request what kind of personal information we hold about you;
- Request the amendment of your personal information;
- Request the deletion of your personal information;
- Opt-out of marketing communications (e.g. email newsletters);
- Object to the processing of your personal information.
Should you wish to exercise any of your rights under POPIA, please contact us (using the details and forms below) and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Please note that your above rights are subject to a number of limitations under POPIA and we encourage you to familiarise yourself with these before making a request above.
How long we keep your personal information
The amount of time which Smart Digital Media keeps your personal information will vary depending on the purpose for which the personal information was processed, whether you have requested deletion or amendment of your personal information and whether we are legally obliged to keep certain personal information for a set period of time. That said, Smart Digital Media will not keep your personal information for longer than is necessary to fulfill the original purpose for which it was collected.
We encourage you to read up about your rights under POPIA
Telephone: +27 (0)87 702 5300
In addition, the following forms may be of assistance to you:
- FORM 1 OBJECTION TO THE PROCESSING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION IN TERMS OF SECTION 11 (3) OF THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ACT, 2013 (ACT NO. 4 OF 2013)
- FORM 2 REQUESTS FOR CORRECTION OR DELETION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION OR DESTROYING OR DELETION OF RECORD OF PERSONAL INFORMATION IN TERMS OF SECTION 24 (1) OF THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ACT, 2013
|Updated: 09 July 2021|